Training at ARKUPS
The Damage Prevention Specialist, or DPS, is the backbone of ARKUPS, and the DPS’ continuous training and development is key to ARKUPS success. ARKUPS provides the best-in-class training system and resources to meet the training and development needs of its employees.
ARKUPS training is comprehensive, covering the most crucial underground facilities. This includes Gas, Water, Sewer, Electric, Phone, Fiber, and more, with a unified focus on Damage and Injury prevention.
- All newly hired DPS participate in a mentor program with a seasoned DPS to experience the day-to-day life of a locator at ARKUPS.
- Phase 1: Class Time
- Every DPS will complete a 120 hour in-class training program designed to develop the most qualified, knowledgeable, and highly skilled utility locators anywhere.
- Phase 2: In Field Training
- Building upon the skills they learned in Phase 1 and observed during their mentorship, Phase 2 Field Training challenges the new DPS to use those skills, along with the latest technology and field techniques to continue our efforts to ensure damage prevention.
- Upon successful execution of each phase of training, a certificate of completion of the ARKUPS Training Program is presented. Each DPS is also certified in gas pipeline locating including Veriforce, 1291 certification, 23 EwebOQ CBT courses, and is D.O.T. certified.
- Continued Education
- To succeed in the highly competitive and ever-changing underground utility locating industry, DPS must be committed to furthering their knowledge, skills, and abilities as they maintain and improve their professional competence. The ARKUPS Continuing Education (CE) program requires each DPS to engage in ongoing professional development as a condition of retaining the right to maintain their certifications and designations.